Departments And Divisions
- Department of Electrical Engineering (Columbia University)
- Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering (Columbia University)
As our understanding of the brain’s physiology and pathology progresses, increasingly sophisticated technologies and techniques are required to advance discoveries in neuroscience and develop more effective approaches to treating brain disease. Our Translational NeuroElectronics Laboratory focuses on enhancing our ability to couple electronics with neural tissue, from individual neurons to large neural networks. We address each stage of this multidisciplinary process, from materials science (design, characterization, and fabrication of biocompatible devices), electronics engineering (integration of acquisition electronics with such devices), neuroscience (designing experiments, testing devices, and analyzing data from animal models), and medicine (translation of devices and discoveries to clinical diagnostics and therapeutics). Specifically, we use biocompatible, high performance organic electronics to acquire high spatiotemporal neural data spanning multiple cortical areas in behaving rodents and human subjects, with the goal of better understanding cognitive function and its disruption in neuropsychiatric disease.
- (212) 854-3105
- Neurobiology of learning and memory
- Translational neuroscience
1. D. Khodagholy*, J. N. Gelinas* and G. Buzsáki “Learning-enhanced coupling between ripple oscillations in association cortices and hippocampus” Science 358, 369-372 (2017)
2. I. Uguz, C. M Proctor, V. F Curto, A. Pappa, M. J Donahue, M. Ferro, R. M Owens, D. Khodagholy, S. Inal, G. G Malliaras, “A Microfluidic Ion Pump for In Vivo Drug Delivery”, Advanced Materials, Adv. Mater. 29- 27- 1701217, (2017)
3. D. Khodagholy, J. N. Gelinas, Z. Zhao, M. Yeh, M. Long, J D. Greenlee, W. Doyle, O. Devinsky , and G. Buzsáki, “Organic electronics for high-resolution electrocorticography of the human brain” Science Advances, 2, e1601027 (2016).
4. A. Jonsson, S. Inal, l. Uguz, A. J. Williamson, L. Kergoat, J. Rivnay, D. Khodagholy, M. Berggren, C. Bernard, G. G. Malliaras, D. T. Simon, Bioelectronic neural pixel: Chemical stimulation and electrical sensing at the same site, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. , 201604231 (2016).
5. J. N. Gelinas, D. Khodagholy, T. Thesen, W. Doyle, O. Devinsky, G. Malliaras and G. Buzsáki, “Interictal epileptiform discharges induce hippocampal-cortical coupling”, Nature Med, doi:10.1038/nm.4084, (2016).
6. D. Khodagholy, J. Gelinas, T. Thesen, W. Doyle, O. Devinsky, G. Malliaras and G. Buzsáki, “NeuroGrid: recording action potentials from the surface of the brain”, Nature Neuro. DIO: 10.1038/nn.3905, (2015)
7. G. Buzsáki, E. Stark, A. Berényi, D. Khodagholy, D. Kipke, E. Yoon and Kensall Wise, “Tools for probing local circuits: high-density silicon probes combined with optogenetics”, Neuron, (2015)
8. J. Rivnay, P. Leleux, M. Ferro, M. Sessolo, A. Williamson, D Khodagholy, Marc Ramuz, X. Strakosas, R. Owens, C. Benar, J. Badier, C. Bernard, and G.G. Malliaras, “High performance transistors through control of volumetric capacitance, Science Adv., (2015)
9. J. Rivnay, P. Leleux, M. Sessolo, D. Khodagholy, T. Herve, M. Fiocchi, and G. G. Malliaras, “Organic Electrochemical Transistors with Maximum Transconductance at Zero Gate Bias” Adv. Mater., 25, 48, 7010-4, (2013)
10. D. Khodagholy, J. Rivnay, M. Sessolo, M. Gurfinkel, E. Stavrinidou, P. Leleux, T. Herve, S. Sanaur, and G.G. Malliaras, “High transconductance organic electrochemical transistor”, Nature Comm. 4, 2133, (2013)
11. E. Stavrinidou, P. Leleux, H. Rajaona, D. Khodagholy, J. Rivnay, M. Lindau, S. Sanaur, and G. G. Malliaras, “Direct measurement of ion mobility in a conducting polymer”, Adv. Mater, 25, 32, 4488– 4493, (2013)
12. M. Sessolo*, D. Khodagholy*, J. Rivnay, F. Maddalena, M. Gleyzes, E. Steidl, B. Buisson and G. G. Malliaras, “General fabrication of polymer microelectrode arrays”, Adv. Mater., 25, 15, 2135–2139, (2013)
13. D. Khodagholy, T. Doublet, M. Gurfinkel, P. Leleux, P. Quilichini, A. Ghestem, E. Ismailova, T. Herve, S. Sanaur, C. Bernard and G. G. Malliaras, “In vivo recordings of brain activity using organic transistors”, Nature comm., 4, 1575, (2013)
14. L. H. Jimison, S. A. Tria, D. Khodagholy, M. Gurfinkel, E. Lanzarini, A. Hama. G. G. Malliaras, R. M. Owens, “Measurement of Barrier Tissue Integrity with an Organic Electrochemical Transistor”, Adv. Mater, 24, 44, 5919–5923, (2012)
15. L. H. Jimison, A. Hama, X. Strakosas, V. Armelb, D. Khodagholy, E. Ismailova, B. Winther-Jensenb, and R. M. Owens, “PEDOT:TOS with PEG: A biofunctional surface with improved electronic characteristics” J. Mater. Chem., 2012,22, 19498-19505 (2012)
16. E. Ismailova, T. Doublet, D. Khodagholy, P. Quilichini, A. Ghestem, S.Y. Yang, C. Bernard, and G.G. Malliaras, "Plastic neuronal probes for implantation in cortical and subcortical areas of the rat brain", Int. J. Nanotechnology, 9, 517 (2012).
17. D. Khodagholy, V.F. Curto, K. J. Fraser, M. Gurfinkel, R. Byrne, D. Diamond, G. G. Malliaras, F. Benito-Lopez, and R. M. Owens, “Organic electrochemical transistor incorporating an ionogel as solid state electrolyte for lactate sensing”, J. Mater. Chem., 22, 4440-4443 (2011)
18. K. Fraser,V. Curto, Sh. Coyle, B. Schazman, R. Byrne, F. Benito-Lopez, Fernando, D. Khodagholy , R. Owens, G. G. Malliaras D. Diamond “Electrochemical transistors with ionic liquids for enzymatic sensing”, SPIE Proc. , doi:10.1117/12.894412 (2011)
19. D. Khodagholy, M. Gurfinkel, E. Stavrinidou, P. Leleux, T. Herve, S. Sanaur, and G.G. Malliaras, "High speed and high density organic electrochemical transistor arrays", Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 163304 (2011).
20. D. Khodagholy, T. Doublet, M. Gurfinkel, P. Quilichini, E. Ismailova, P. Leleux, T. Herve, S. Sanaur, C. Bernard, and G.G. Malliaras, “Highly conformable conducting polymer electrodes for in vivo recordings”, Adv. Mater. 36, H268 (2011).
• D. Khodagholy, G. G. Malliaras, R. M. Owens, “Polymer-based sensors”, in Comprehensive Polymer Science, 2nd Edition, K. Matyjaszewski, M. Möller, vol. 8, Elsevier BV, Amsterdam (2012)