Departments And Divisions
- Department of Psychiatry
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Ruane Professor for The Implementation of Science for Child and Adolescent Mental Health (In Psychiatry)
- Director, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Co-Director, NIMH T32 Postdoctoral Fellowship for Translational Research in Child Psychiatric Disorders
- Co-Director, Whitaker Scholar Program in Developmental Neuropsychiatry
The Veenstra-VanderWeele lab is dedicated to helping children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and their families. We are approaching this goal using a variety of techniques, from animal models to research in adults with ASD. The majority of our efforts go toward developing and studying mouse models to understand the relationship between ASD or OCD risk factors and the resulting changes in brain and behavior. We are also working to translate laboratory research findings into novel treatments for children and adults with autism spectrum disorders or related genetic syndromes.
- MD, Pritzker School of Medicine at the University of Chicago
- Residency: University of Chicago Hospitals
- Fellowship: University of Chicago Hospitals
- Fellowship: University of Chicago Hospital & Clinics
Education & Training
Center for the Developing Brain (CADB)21 Bloomingdale Road
White Plains, NY 10605
- (914) 997-5848
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Fernandes, D.J., Ellegood, J., Askalan, R., Blakely, R.D., Dicicco-Bloom, E., Egan, S.E., … Lerch, J.P. (2017). Spatial gene expression analysis of neuroanatomical differences in mouse models. NeuroImage, 163, 220–230. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2017.08.065
- Muller, C.L., Anacker, A.M.J., Rogers, T.D., Goeden, N., Keller, E.H., Forsberg, C.G., … Veenstra-VanderWeele, J. (2017). Impact of maternal serotonin transporter genotype on placental serotonin, fetal forebrain serotonin, and neurodevelopment. Neuropsychopharmacology, 42(2), 427–436. doi: 10.1038/npp.2016.166
- Anagnostou, E., Aman, M.G., Handen, B.L., Sanders, K.B., Shui, A., Hollway, J.A., … Veenstra-VanderWeele, J. (2016). Metformin for treatment of overweight induced by atypical antipsychotic medication in young people with autism spectrum disorder: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry, 73(9), 928–937. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2016.123
- Muller, C.L., Anacker, A.M.J., & Veenstra-VanderWeele, J. (2016). The serotonin system in autism spectrum disorder: From biomarker to animal models. Neuroscience, 321, 24–41. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2015.11.010
- Veenstra-VanderWeele, J., & Warren, Z. (2015). Intervention in the context of development: pathways toward new treatments. Neuropsychopharmacology, 40, 225–237.
- Erickson, C.A., Veenstra-VanderWeele, J., Melmed, R.D., McCracken, J.T., Ginsberg, L., Sikich, L., … King, B.H. (2014). STX209 (Arbaclofen) for autism spectrum disorders: An 8-week open-label study. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 44, 958–964.
- Dove, D., Warren, Z., Taylor, J.L., Sathe, N., McPheeters, M.L., & Veenstra-VanderWeele, J. (2012). Medication treatments for adolescents and young adults with autism spectrum disorders: A systematic review. Pediatrics, 130, 717–726.
- Hammock, E.A., Veenstra-VanderWeele, J., Yan, Z., Kerr, T.M., Morris, M., Anderson, G.M., … Jacob, S. (2012). Examining autism spectrum disorders by biomarkers: Example from the oxytocin and serotonin systems. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 51, 712–721.
- Veenstra-VanderWeele, J., Muller, C.L., Iwamoto, H., Sauer, J.E., Owens, W.A., Cohen, J., … Blakely, R.D. (2012). Autism gene variant causes hyperserotonemia, serotonin receptor hypersensitivity, social impairment, and repetitive behavior. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 109, 5469–5474.
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov